This is a south Indian speciality. This makes it even special coz its vegan, healthy, tasty and simple 🙂
Colour , texture and the fine taste makes anyone who tastes it to savour on 🙂 Try this simple recipe at home and tell me what you feel. Do subscribe and like it , as it would give me an indication that you all love to watch more of such recipes 🙂
Watch the video to understand the step by step process 🙂
Lets understand how to eat the dish (oops how to make the dish :p )
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup – coarsely chopped
- Fresh coconut -1 cup
- Poppy seeds / Khus Khus – 2-3 spoons
- Dry fruits
- Ghee – 3 spoons
- Elachi powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Water – for jaggery syrup and coconut paste
How is payasa/kheer made?
- Take a thick bottom pan. Add about 2-3 spoons of ghee. Oil can be used. But since its a desi sweet, ghee is preferred. Add vermicelli and roast them till they are golden brown. Be mindful to saute them back to back (not continuously), else they would burn very quickly.
- Then fry the dry fruits and keep it aside ( to add it in the end).
- Make a jaggery syrup with approx 1 cup of jaggery for 1 cup of vermicelli.
- Blend coconut and khus khus to a very fine paste. Khus khus would take time to grind. So blend until both of them blend and a fine paste is ready.
- Take the grind mixture in a thick bottom pan. Add the fried vermicelli and cook till its half cooked. Then strain the jaggery syrup to this mixture. Allow this mixture to cook for about 10-15 minutes in a low flame. Saute them in between. Else the mixture would stick the bottom of the pan.
- Add elachi powder and dry fruits. Yummy kheer is ready to savour on 🙂